Monday, August 31, 2009

He's Here!

Blake Matherin 
Born at 2:52 pm
Weighing 8lbs 13oz and measuring 20 1/2 inches

I'll keep his birth story short. After almost 42 weeks of waiting we went in to be induced Friday night at 8pm. At 3 am my water broke and things started getting pretty intense with the Pitocin contractions. At about 4 am I had an epideral and Vance and I were both able to doze for a couple of hours. At 7 am my midwife Soheyl went off shift and another nurse midwife Elaine came on shift.
By midmorning in spite of pretty intense contractions 1-2 minutes apart we hadn't progressed very far. I was feeling concerned that we hadn't made it any farther and pretty exhausted. Somewhere around 11:30 or 12:00 pm things were moving forward. At 1 in the afternoon he had we were well on the way.
My epidural had never really been 100% effective. At 1:00 it had started to run out and anesthesia tech came and changed it out, but forgot to turn it back on. From there on things moved very quickly and by 2:52 he was here!
He was very healthy and started to nurse within 10 minutes of being born. He nursed for almost and hour. They moved us to postpartum and we had a very nice room and great hospital nurses looking after us. Blake never left our side as we did no separation. It was a tough night because he'd no sooner get to sleep than they'd come check on him or me.
 We were given the option of going home that day and told them we were definitely interested. We thought we would be home by 4 or so as we had to wait a minimum of 24 hours after he was born. However, it was a weekend and we could not get a doctor to come do his circumcision. It took until almost 8 pm to get a doctor to come do the procedure and then we had to wait another hour for Blake to be observed. Vance was able to got with him and be there during the procedure and he was very comfortable with Doctor Ross. We left at 9 pm and got home after a quick stop to see the Manning's.

Everyone is healthy. I'm feeling pretty good. Blake is doing wonderful. He's super strong. He can lift his head and look around, and I know you'll think we are making this up, but he managed to roll over while on his Daddy's lap tonight. He was laying on his belly and lifted his head and then pushed over with his arms and made it to his back.

I do have to add that my Midwives and nurses were fabulous! Elaine was wonderful. Even though I hadn't seen her during my pregnancy I was very happy to have her there for the delivery. She had 29 years in the Midwife industry and when I talked to her Sunday found out she had helped pioneer getting the Midwifery practice into Vanderbilt.

My folks had come down after driving all day to get here in time. We had left for the hospital, but were able to meet them at Chik' Fil-A on the way to Vandi. They stayed at the house with Shane and Lil' Vance and were a tremendous help. They kept the boys busy and brought them to the hospital. They all were able to take the boat out fishing. I am so thankful to not have to worry about the house, or laundry or even cooking. It was very nice to just be able to focus on Blake while we were at the hospital. They think they will be able to hang out until Wed. or Thursday.

Blake getting weighed, and not too happy about it.

Here he is about 1 hr after birth.
He's got a head full of dark hair.


Mom with Baby looking very tired but very happy!

Isn't he cute!! Blake is a very alert baby when he's awake. He tries to track and follow faces and definitely knows Mama and Daddy's voice.
Proud Daddy and son. He loves being held by Dad and calms down quickly in his arms.

Blake's fan club arrived Saturday evening about 8:00. Grammi got to hold Blake first. Having my folks here to help as made things so much easier! I can't imagine doing this without there help!

Blake meeting his brothers. Shane and Lil' Vance both got to hold him.



Thanks for all the prayers, thoughts and well wishes!! We are so very happy he's here and healthy! Thank God for all his goodness!

2 comments:

  1. Great update & pics. Way to get lots of pics up quickly! I think he does look like his Daddy.
    Get lots of rest & enjoy snuggling little Blake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! Glad everyone is doing well! Cute pictures- keep 'em coming :)

    ReplyDelete