It's been an interesting couple of days. I went in Monday for my 26 week check up feeling really healthy and not expecting anything unusual. However, when my midwife checked for the baby's size I was only measuring 22 weeks not 26 weeks. He had checked out right on target at my 21 week ultra sound. So she became concerned and scheduled me for an ultrasound Tuesday afternoon. I really wasn't alarmed because I was thinking he's active and I know he's grown. He's just riding a little low.
The next day the ultrasound was going really great. He measured right at 26 weeks and his weight at 2 lbs 1 oz. I even was told that my previously low lying placenta was no longer an issue as it had moved up sufficiently. I was feeling relieved and pretty good about everything.
Then the ultrasound tech measured my cervix. She became very alarmed and started asking me all sorts of questions. "Was I experiencing contractions?" No, I said. She told me this early in the pregnancy I might not know if I was. She wanted to know when my next appointment was with my midwife and I told her 3 weeks. This answer didn't satisfy her so she left the room to go consult with the radiologist. She then came back after a little bit and said that it was okay for me to go home, but that they had faxed the results to my midwife and made sure that my women's clinic was aware of the situation. (The ultrasound clinic is several blocks down from my Women's clinic.)
In a nut shell the reason baby wasn't measuring correctly is that he is sitting very low, too low in fact. He's putting pressure on my cervix which is causing it to efface, thin out. And therefore I'm at risk for preterm labor. My midwife called me and told me I couldn't go to work for the rest of the week. (To be honest I was grinning when she told me this part. I've been counting down the days until school is out.) She also scheduled for me to come in Thursday morning for the first in a two part series of steroid shots to help finish developing his lungs, just in case he's born early. Friday I go back for the second shot. And they are doing a test that should be able to tell them whether or not I'm likely to go into labor in the next 2 weeks. Apparently it's only good for 2 weeks at a time. Monday, I have another ultrasound scheduled at yet another clinic. I think I see the overseeing Doctor at this appointment.
So in the meantime I'm chilling about the house. Taking it easy and reading a lot. I've got a lot of support and people praying, which I am VERY great full for. I'm also just refusing to be down about all this. It's totally in God's hands. He's always taken care of me and I know He has only good and perfect things planned for me and baby. I'm just believing in faith that everything is fine and that this pregnancy is going to be full term!
Since I now have some spare time on my hands I'll try to do a much better job of posting updates. In the meantime God is good and His Mercy is new ever day.
Yes, we like lots of updates!! Just take it easy and enjoy this down time. We are praying for you and baby boy, everything will be fine!
ReplyDeleteJamie