Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Everyday news

Just a quick update on day to day life. The boys have their first day back at school on Aug. 1st. It's just for orientation so I don't expect it to last more than an hour or two. They officially start back the 11th of Aug. I've said it before, I'll say it again summer is way too short. They have almost achieved year round school by simply paring down summer vacation to barely two months and giving frequent week to two week breaks during the school year. Personally I miss the good ol' days when summer vacation was from June to September. Even then summer still felt too short.
I suppose I shouldn't beat up the school system too much as it looks like they will be my employer shortly. As soon as the necessary paperwork is finished up I should be officially an employee. The job sounds like fun as I'll be an EA. Took me a little bit to figure out what in the world an EA is or does, but I'm fairly certain it stands for Educational Assistant and means I'll be a jack of all trades as I will be the EA for 4th through 8th grade. I'm looking forward to it so we'll see how it goes.
Other than that not a lot. We finally had some rain which means we now have a heat index of around 100 degrees in the afternoon and also means my garden has gone nuts. I literally had a wheelbarrow full of corn and tomatoes yesterday. Lil' Vance is mostly to blame because he wanted to sell tomato plants at the spring yard sale. We planted almost 200 seeds and none of them were ready for the yard sale. So I gave away some, threw out some that insisted on taking root despite my attempts to discourage them and finally planted 30 plants in the garden. I don't quite know if I was thinking rationally when I did that. I've got tomatoes everywhere and am sure to run out of people to give them away too before the growing season is over. Can we say Christmas present anyone?

1 comment:

  1. Freeze them... or try canning. I tried canning tomatoes last yr for the 1st time and it's pretty easy. I froze/canned tons last year and we used them. I throw them in everything that calls for tomatoes & never buy any at the store. I wish mine were doing as well this year, I don't think I'll have as many.
    Oh and I like to make home made salsa too, it's a lot of chopping but you do use a lot of tomatoes up too : ) Have fun!

    Congrats on the job too, you'll have to keep us posted on how it goes.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete